Devious Souls
Login NAO >:L

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Devious Souls
Login NAO >:L
Devious Souls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Emotional Moment

4 posters

Go down

An Emotional Moment Empty An Emotional Moment

Post  Nithhogg Thu May 03, 2012 3:12 am

Has there been a rather impacting moment in a game you played? Maybe it was the tragic death of a loved ally. The actions of an enemy that really just rustled your jimmies. Or maybe a heroic instance that just got your blood pumping. A sweet second between two characters that just made you go "aww". Or maybe it was just such a good and happy ending you found yourself smiling.

Flaut your nerdiness and tell us all of any emotionally impacting moments you've had in a video game.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Male Posts : 454

Devious Profile
Class: Elite Stabber
Favorite Weapon: Rigadoon
Alignment: Neutral-Constructive

https://skguilddevioussouls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

An Emotional Moment Empty Spoilers cometh

Post  Silloe Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Earthbound 3 is pretty brutal. Good game, would recommend it - GBA - no official english translation, but there is an excellent fan translation.
Would explain, but can't put in black font colour spoilers... Forums being crappy again. :/

An Emotional Moment Trainer-died-creepypasta
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Male Posts : 264

Devious Profile
Class: Tater Dervish
Favorite Weapon: Brandish Line
Alignment: Chaotic-Constructive

Back to top Go down

An Emotional Moment Empty Re: An Emotional Moment

Post  Zerahnor Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 pm

Silloe wrote:

Earthbound 3 is pretty brutal. Good game, would recommend it - GBA - no official english translation, but there is an excellent fan translation.
Would explain, but can't put in black font colour spoilers... Forums being crappy again. :/

An Emotional Moment Trainer-died-creepypasta
GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK DESERVED IT
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile
Class: Dusk Knight
Favorite Weapon: Cold Iron Vanquisher
Alignment: Neutral-Destructive

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Zerahnor wrote:GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK DESERVED IT
The anime is actually separate from the games. The canonical name of your rival in the games is Blue which is most certainly not Gary from the anime. I just thought you might like to know. If you need to double check Gold/Silver and you can see in Pallet Town a house called "Blue's House" additionally Blue takes over a Gym when Giovanni is out of commission.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Fri May 04, 2012 1:11 am

Nithhogg wrote:
Zerahnor wrote:GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK DESERVED IT
The anime is actually separate from the games. The canonical name of your rival in the games is Blue which is most certainly not Gary from the anime. I just thought you might like to know. If you need to double check Gold/Silver and you can see in Pallet Town a house called "Blue's House" additionally Blue takes over a Gym when Giovanni is out of commission.
IT DOESN'T MATTER! GARY/BLUE STILL DESERVED IT! BOTH OF THEM DID! (Also, It's pretty much considered that, while the "rival" in the games and the anime are different, they're so similar in both personality and their choices/outcome of their "quest" that it's safe to use the names interchangeably. Also, I'm too lazy to look up evidence on the matter, but I'm pretty sure the anime was based off the games. Soooooo yeah. Blue is pretty much Gary MOTHERFUCKING Oak.)
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

An Emotional Moment Empty Yeah, Zera. I mean, C'Mon!

Post  Silloe Fri May 04, 2012 2:00 am

Gary Oak is awesome, he legitimately obtains badges and does things properly.

"Ash sucks. More than half of the badges in Kanto were gifts. He didn't even beat the gym leaders. He got the Badge from Erika because he saved her Pokemon. He got the one from Misty because he saved them from Team Rocket. Brock gave him the badge even though Ash lost. He got the march badge because a Hunter that Ash didn't even catch made the gym leader laugh! He shouldn't have been able to enter Indigo League at all. He didn't earn his badges. Also red had to fight far more Pokemon in every gym. Ash had to fight 1 or 2 at max.
Tl;dr Ash is the most terrible trainer you've ever seen." ~ some random guy I stole from

Honestly, he's practically retarded, but the gym leaders join his group and follow him around. It's like they feel morally obligated to babysit him to stop him from self endangerment. And he never uses type advantage. Like.. frakin' pikachu vs onix.

An Emotional Moment Halolz-dot-com-pokemon-redvsash

Big picture comic: https://i.imgur.com/4gdIB.jpg

Also, this: www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/377178
Potato
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

An Emotional Moment Empty I must agree

Post  Nithhogg Fri May 04, 2012 3:10 am

While there are similarities between the anime and the games perhaps early on the characters are NOT interchangeable. I don't watch the show and my memory from when I was a child and did watch it slightly is foggy but does Gary really get in Ash's way or does he just kinda' brag about all the badges he gets? Anyway Silloe made all the necessary points so I won't say anything further. (By the way that post made me happy from some reason)
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Fri May 04, 2012 4:30 am

I think my point was mistaken. I'm not saying the anime is a clone of the games, I'm saying Blue and Gary are fairly similar, and that the anime was based off the games. Granted, they made a mockery of Red with how absolutely retarded Ash is, but regardless. Yes, I understand that Gary is more of a braggart than an actual obstacle to be overcome on Ash's misadventure through the Pokemon League; which I still don't get because the anime didn't have any actual TRUE pokemon battles and I think Gary could have fixed that... Pikachu either won by being overpowered in the lamest way possible (well, see, we hooked your Pikachu up to a water mill and essentially tortured it half to death to multiply its electrical output by some crazy exponent that doesn't even make sense) or by ways of a total fluke. No examples come to mind, but I'm pretty sure that Ash's Pikachu only ever won legitimately (if it ever did) versus water or flying pokemon.

FCKN DERAILS, MAN. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK AND BLUE "HURR DURR I'M THE NEW VIRIDIAN GYM LEADER" HERE AND HOW THEY DESERVED TO HAVE DONE TO THEM ALL THAT HAPPENED TO THEM [/caps lock]

to actually say something relevant to the topic itself, I actually don't get all that emotional, and nothing at the moment that I can remember is striking me as breaking that barrier
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

An Emotional Moment Empty dont hate the swag

Post  kunoric Fri May 04, 2012 9:33 am

i think i've made it clear how i feel about Joshua of twewy, but fan stories aside, i can't recall an official game pulling on my heartstrings- though i'm pretty sure i do own them some where...so for now i'll split the sappy award between having to kill Tokoro from cave story and the Company of Myself series - though now that i think about it, it is a bit of a plot hole that tokoro never recovers from the red flower, but Sue and misery not only suffer temporarily from the ghost induced concentrated form of it, but aren't killed by the same weapons that kill tokoro.( i suppose you could argue they are possessed and it wears off when the doc double dies...)

any way, since i'm always up for pokemon, the way i see it is the games spawned a cartoon series that started following yellow, then split off and eventually fell apart and will eventually stop airing as the show changed hands and failed to follow it's own continuity, and sacrificed original fans in order to pander to 7-10 year olds indefinitely without accounting for the change in taste of subsequent generations- while the manga played it straight and expanded apron it self. within the show, i always thought i saw something that could be interesting, but i suppose it was always tossed out in favor of more of the same- that said, i don't recall gary ever regarding ash as a rival, because he was legitimately better in every way...
An Emotional Moment Pokmon-you-cant-ignore-garys-girth
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Male Posts : 215

Devious Profile
Class: aggressive defender
Favorite Weapon: pre-nerf winmillion

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Fri May 04, 2012 11:09 am

kunoric wrote:
any way, since i'm always up for pokemon, the way i see it is the games spawned a cartoon series that started following yellow, then split off and eventually fell apart and will eventually stop airing as the show changed hands and failed to follow it's own continuity, and sacrificed original fans in order to pander to 7-10 year olds indefinitely without accounting for the change in taste of subsequent generations- while the manga played it straight and expanded apron it self. within the show, i always thought i saw something that could be interesting, but i suppose it was always tossed out in favor of more of the same- that said, i don't recall gary ever regarding ash as a rival, because he was legitimately better in every way...
This happens because it's safer. People hate risks even if it could make the game/movie/whatever significantly better. If the same old same old is a guaranteed sell but trying something new may sell a bit more or it could flop the company is certainly going to take the safe route and go with the generic. It's a sad state and really nowadays the only originality I see is in Flash games (not made fora profit generally so the author is more likely to take risks to make the game better) and in Indie games which have more risky originality as well because the games are generally smaller and with a small team it costs less to make. Though there are a few developers out there willing to take some risks but most big companies will stick with what works.

Additionally by appealing to 7-10 year olds they get a constantly expanding audience and in some cases they even maintain fans. And for the most part when an idea expands to a new medium (such as pokemon going from game form to anime or a book becoming a movie) it loses some of its quality. I can't speak for the manga though having never read but other than that I can only think of one case where the original idea got better when expanded to a new medium...
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

An Emotional Moment Empty this is the year pokemon die (at least red and blue)

Post  kunoric Fri May 04, 2012 11:56 am

Nithhogg wrote:
kunoric wrote:
This happens because it's safer. People hate risks even if it could make the game/movie/whatever significantly better. If the same old same old is a guaranteed sell but trying something new may sell a bit more or it could flop the company is certainly going to take the safe route and go with the generic. It's a sad state and really nowadays the only originality I see is in Flash games (not made fora profit generally so the author is more likely to take risks to make the game better) and in Indie games which have more risky originality as well because the games are generally smaller and with a small team it costs less to make. Though there are a few developers out there willing to take some risks but most big companies will stick with what works.

Additionally by appealing to 7-10 year olds they get a constantly expanding audience and in some cases they even maintain fans. And for the most part when an idea expands to a new medium (such as pokemon going from game form to anime or a book becoming a movie) it loses some of its quality. I can't speak for the manga though having never read but other than that I can only think of one case where the original idea got better when expanded to a new medium...

I already know about the fear companies have of risking ideas- i was implying that while it works for movies, it's a poor strategy for a series to pull- the primary games are growing stagnant and repetitive, the whole "catch em all" slogan isn't even fathomable at this point, and spinoffs that seem to be good or initially risky ideas appear to be tainted by the "lets do more of the same" virus by the subsequent release. fans will still eat it, yes, they will get tired of it and a point will eventually come when their ignorance of fans leaves them with a franchise that borders to childish for children tv wise, and outdated and uninteresting game wise.
FYI, the battery save feature on the 1 and 2 gen games should all be dead by the end of this year, so know that.
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Male Posts : 215

Devious Profile
Class: aggressive defender
Favorite Weapon: pre-nerf winmillion

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Sat May 05, 2012 4:14 pm

I don't even know where my originally Red cartridge is anyway. it was a nice memory but I'm not sure if I would really get back and play it given the chance. Games fueled by nostalgia alone aren't enough to keep me engaged especially if the series advanced significantly in the past few years and a more up-to-date version that is just all around better is in my grasp. And undoubtedly that is the only significance pokemon Red has to me at this point... Well it was a good memory I suppose.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Sat May 05, 2012 5:52 pm

Nithhogg wrote:I don't even know where my originally Red cartridge is anyway. it was a nice memory but I'm not sure if I would really get back and play it given the chance. Games fueled by nostalgia alone aren't enough to keep me engaged especially if the series advanced significantly in the past few years and a more up-to-date version that is just all around better is in my grasp. And undoubtedly that is the only significance pokemon Red has to me at this point... Well it was a good memory I suppose.
But all the amazing as hell glitches in Red/Blue can't be replicated in any other pokemon game to date D:
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Sat May 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Zerahnor wrote:But all the amazing as hell glitches in Red/Blue can't be replicated in any other pokemon game to date D:
And you can't get to World -1 in modern Mario games either. I suppose that makes the classic so much better doesn't it?
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

An Emotional Moment Empty Yes.

Post  Silloe Sat May 05, 2012 6:31 pm

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch

and the minus world is also awesome.

Finding things like this... Well, it's Frakin' Magical.

It's not an easter egg, or the end of the game... it's somehow something better. Something beyond design.

Not all glitches are created equal, some just suck, or some come to be part of gameplay, but knowing about it is bloody satisfying.

Games that are polished and programmed to linear perfection, tend to have a more bland quality to them. I likes me a good glitch. Something to discover, something to overcome...

Potato *smokes a cigarette, and puts arms behind head*

Edit: done that charter yet?

Last edited by Silloe on Sat May 05, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : GMs procrastinatin')
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Silloe wrote:http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch

and the minus world is also awesome.

Finding things like this... Well, it's Frakin' Magical.

It's not an easter egg, or the end of the game... it's somehow something better. Something beyond design.

Not all glitches are created equal, some just suck, or some come to be part of gameplay, but knowing about it is bloody satisfying.

Games that are polished and programmed to linear perfection, tend to have a more bland quality to them. I likes me a good glitch. Something to discover, something to overcome...

Potato *smokes a cigarette, and puts arms behind head*

Edit: done that charter yet?
In some cases glitches can be good but mostly now they just suck. Plus the more expanded games can easily included intended secrets equally as satisfying to find and have over all better gameplay. But to each his own I guess eh?

P.S.: Do you expect me to do it so quickly? No I did not finish those errands.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content