Devious Souls
Login NAO >:L

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Devious Souls
Login NAO >:L
Devious Souls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Binding of Isaac

5 posters

Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty The Binding of Isaac

Post  Zerahnor Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Anyone else play this game besides me? I'm curious... I don't really expect many of you to even know what it is (oh, the wonders of being big on the indie game scene...) but I figure I'll ask anyway cuz I'm wondering your guys' opinions are on it, if you've played it, of course.
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile
Class: Dusk Knight
Favorite Weapon: Cold Iron Vanquisher
Alignment: Neutral-Destructive

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty Re: The Binding of Isaac

Post  AnonymousMessage Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:52 pm

I've played it actually. Really...."Unique" game.
AnonymousMessage
AnonymousMessage
General Poster
General Poster

Devious Profile
Class: Living Tank.
Favorite Weapon: Polaris/Sadaruska
Alignment: Pure Chaotic

http://anonops.bz/

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty Demo

Post  Nithhogg Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:03 pm

I haven't bothered to play it either. But there is a demo On Newgrounds if you want to check it out.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Male Posts : 454

Devious Profile
Class: Elite Stabber
Favorite Weapon: Rigadoon
Alignment: Neutral-Constructive

https://skguilddevioussouls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Nithhogg wrote:I haven't bothered to play it either. But there is a demo On Newgrounds if you want to check it out.
Lol the demo doesn't even scratch the surface... I've playing Binding of Isaac so much that I've gotten every single achievement Forever Alone

It's a very... strange game, it parodies religious fanaticism and makes references to a bunch of very common internet tropes/memes. I love it to death though, awesome ass game.
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty yea...

Post  kunoric Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:44 am

AnonymousMessage wrote:I've played it actually. Really...."Unique" game.
i've also tried it out and... well that ^

and i can't say it so much parodies religious fanaticism as a whole as just takes the premise of a bible story and runs in an extremely disturbing direction under a rug. i don't blame you for getting romantic with it though- i felt the same way for at least a short time with every rouge-like game i owned; they just satisfy something inside you that loves what so many others will hate.
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Male Posts : 215

Devious Profile
Class: aggressive defender
Favorite Weapon: pre-nerf winmillion
Alignment: Chaotic-Constructive

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Well the parody is still there, because while obviously it is not the actual biblical story *of* The actual binding of Isaac, Abraham's son (who instead simply bound his son with ropes and then dragged him to the top of a mountain to sacrifice him to god), it still kinda goes down that way considering your mom wants to kill you because she thinks god told her to do so. Isaac's "binding" in this more modern take on it is how he was pretty much stripped of any sense of a life, and while she didn't ACTUALLY drag you anywhere, she did lure you unwittingly right into the depths of the earth, where you finally fight her. You could also view the entire game itself as Isaac's binding because of what happens after you beat the true game and SPOILER: kill Mom's Heart ~9 times - You actually end up attacking and killing *Isaac himself, in fetus form* instead, called "It Lives" during your 10th successful playthrough. Now of course, in the game, doing this doesn't actually kill you, but it does explain why the game forces you to MOAR SPOILER: descend into Hell itself in all subsequent play-throughs after you defeat "It Lives!" for the time. It also explains why the poor 5-6 year old never gets a happy ending. Sad Poor Isaac.

EDIT: Also, I realized I think I proved it's more of a parody of the biblical figure Isaac than of religious fanatism. Woo for talking outta my ass Wakka Wakka

Last edited by Zerahnor on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:16 pm

The member 'Zerahnor' has done the following action : Dices roll

'Lucky Number' : 78
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:16 pm

kunoric wrote:and i can't say it so much parodies religious fanaticism as a whole as just takes the premise of a bible story and runs in an extremely disturbing direction under a rug. i don't blame you for getting romantic with it though- i felt the same way for at least a short time with every rouge-like game i owned; they just satisfy something inside you that loves what so many others will hate.
So are you a hipster now? But in all seriousness that is one reason I enjoy Etrian Odyssey (the series by the way) and Shin Megami Tensei so much. For some reason people hate dungeon crawlers... hmm...
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Nithhogg wrote:
kunoric wrote:and i can't say it so much parodies religious fanaticism as a whole as just takes the premise of a bible story and runs in an extremely disturbing direction under a rug. i don't blame you for getting romantic with it though- i felt the same way for at least a short time with every rouge-like game i owned; they just satisfy something inside you that loves what so many others will hate.
So are you a hipster now? But in all seriousness that is one reason I enjoy Etrian Odyssey (the series by the way) and Shin Megami Tensei so much. For some reason people hate dungeon crawlers... hmm...
I don't hate dungeon crawlers. I LOVE dungeon crawlers... especially if it's real-time combat and there's lots of things to kill. Very Happy Like the Dark Cloud series. (I'm Still waiting for the 3rd installment, Level 5! >:C)
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Zerahnor wrote: I don't hate dungeon crawlers. I LOVE dungeon crawlers... especially if it's real-time combat and there's lots of things to kill. Very Happy Like the Dark Cloud series. (I'm Still waiting for the 3rd installment, Level 5! >:C)
If it's the Level-5 I'm think of they're probably worried with Professor Layton right now... But the Dungeon Crawlers I like have turn based battles sooooo yeah...
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty i'm with nithhogg

Post  kunoric Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Nithhogg wrote:
Zerahnor wrote: I don't hate dungeon crawlers. I LOVE dungeon crawlers... especially if it's real-time combat and there's lots of things to kill. Very Happy Like the Dark Cloud series. (I'm Still waiting for the 3rd installment, Level 5! >:C)
If it's the Level-5 I'm think of they're probably worried with Professor Layton right now... But the Dungeon Crawlers I like have turn based battles sooooo yeah...

i'm always up for something new when it comes to rouge-like/survival but because 1) turn based runs on my time and i can stop at a moments notice, and 2) i'm already familiar to the mechanics, i feel less cheated if i die from something unexpected in the the ol' turn based fighting system. i will say that live action makes the game feel more exciting/panicky, but my real reason for not wanting Isaacc is because the game is so... twisted really- not even a cute twisted like super meat boy; i can't play this game when i go home to my family and their unprepared eyes,(they already think poorly of gaming) and even around my roommates i'd feel weird... this just isn't one of those games you hold to say "gaming isn't a bad waste of time, it's just as good as reading by your self! no it doesn't harm or demoralize young players, just look at this!
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty i'm with nithhogg

Post  Nithhogg Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:26 pm

The member 'kunoric' has done the following action : Dices roll

'Lucky Number' : 76
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Well, considering you feel that about the Binding of Isaac, I take it you and your family have never watched movies like Saw either? Wakka Wakka How naive they are to how generally twisted the entire world is.

Point being, the world itself, and a large majority of its inhabitants, are just as twisted - if not even more so. This game being twisted shouldn't be as big a deal as it is.
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:04 pm

Zerahnor wrote:Well, considering you feel that about the Binding of Isaac, I take it you and your family have never watched movies like Saw either? Wakka Wakka How naive they are to how generally twisted the entire world is.

Point being, the world itself, and a large majority of its inhabitants, are just as twisted - if not even more so. This game being twisted shouldn't be as big a deal as it is.
But regardless we have some sense of what is right and what is perverted, no? Even if someone is de-sensitized to something doesn't mean they don't realize it is somehow and in some way wrong. Someone can play all the violent video games they want and not be fazed at the sight of large amounts of blood, yet it doesn't mean they can look at mass slaughter and say "oh.. well that sucks". Additionally something can come off as twisted and creepy even if you are used to violence and gore. But that's just my two cents.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty nailed it

Post  kunoric Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:21 am

Zerahnor wrote:Well, considering you feel that about the Binding of Isaac, I take it you and your family have never watched movies like Saw either? Wakka Wakka How naive they are to how generally twisted the entire world is.

no, i didn't watch movies with my family- the adult's would fall asleep and the childrenhave to be just as loud as the tv,so i tend to take my entertainment in private; meaning i don't need them catching glimpses of something dark and assuming my inner serial killer is looking for inspiration- point in case,i don't need any thing extra to incriminate my self as the part of the large majority of the worlds twisted inhabitants.
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:46 am

Lol, I'd start to worry about how much your family loves you if they're *actually looking for reasons to assume you have an inner serial killer looking for inspiration* as you put it ...... *cough cough* how mental your parents are. Or maybe they're just over-protective and paranoid. The world may never know?
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silloe Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Yeah, how much his parents love him doesn't have much to do with it.

Overprotective, perhaps...

They say one of the greatest problems in the world is that we judge others by their actions and we judge ourselves by our intentions.

I'm sure they have good intentions, though, misguided in my opinion :potato:losopher.
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Male Posts : 264

Devious Profile
Class: Tater Dervish
Favorite Weapon: Brandish Line

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty missing the point?

Post  kunoric Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:51 am

i didn't mean for the discussion to derail into a personal analysis- i just meant to say since my folks didn't approve of gaming it's easier to be sure that if i'm gonna play a game that draws a "WTF? i don't like this. i don't like you liking this"moment, that it not happen to a degree where what game freedoms i had would fall under scrutiny; and honestly, i got the vibe that any thing more violent than pokemon bothered them.
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty Just lie down on the couch.

Post  Silloe Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:35 am

Ja, Und, how does zis make you feel?

The Binding of Isaac Sigmund-freud-mobile-wallpaper
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Male Posts : 264

Devious Profile
Class: Tater Dervish
Favorite Weapon: Brandish Line

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty Freud

Post  Nithhogg Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:39 am

Call me crazy but I doubt this is a Freudian slip here.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

The Binding of Isaac Empty it feels like

Post  kunoric Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:55 pm