Devious Souls
Login NAO >:L

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Devious Souls
Login NAO >:L
Devious Souls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the Purchase of D'oh

5 posters

Go down

the Purchase of D'oh Empty the Purchase of D'oh

Post  Nithhogg Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:43 pm

Sort of made in contrast to Zera's topic in a way. Have you ever made a purchase that DIDN'T go over so well? Maybe you decided to buy a game on a whim or a game you were looking to buy a game for a while and it simply disappointed you instead. Commence discussion!
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Male Posts : 454

Devious Profile
Class: Elite Stabber
Favorite Weapon: Rigadoon
Alignment: Neutral-Constructive

https://skguilddevioussouls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

the Purchase of D'oh Empty Re: the Purchase of D'oh

Post  Silloe Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Well, I can't really think of a game that I didn't get that was bad...

Like, I always read reviews, or try it first.

But, that's just fluff. What I'm really here to talk about is posts.

Nith, you have nearly as many posts as Zera and I combined (2nd and 3rd most respectively), yet it seems like you post much less for some reason.

Like I get the sensation that Anon posts more than you.

It's not dice rolls.. that can't be it...

Must just be your fluffy nature. Like a cloud rolling by that nobody notices.

</ Potato derailer>
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Male Posts : 264

Devious Profile
Class: Tater Dervish
Favorite Weapon: Brandish Line
Alignment: Chaotic-Constructive

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:10 pm

The member 'Silloe' has done the following action : Dices roll

'Lucky Number' : 41
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Silloe wrote:Well, I can't really think of a game that I didn't get that was bad...

Like, I always read reviews, or try it first.

But, that's just fluff. What I'm really here to talk about is posts.

Nith, you have nearly as many posts as Zera and I combined (2nd and 3rd most respectively), yet it seems like you post much less for some reason.

Like I get the sensation that Anon posts more than you.

It's not dice rolls.. that can't be it...

Must just be your fluffy nature. Like a cloud rolling by that nobody notices.

</ Potato derailer>
I make a lot of small posts. I get the feeling sometimes that people don't post if they don't see the green dot. However, Zera and Anon seem to make longer posts so maybe they seem like they post more? Also a few of my posts I've deleted but that doesn't reset my post count. I think that's the reason...
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AnonymousMessage Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Naughty Bear. Loved the idea and loved the game.....For the first fifteen minutes....After that the repetitive levels, repetitive enemies, And not to mention the god forsaken stealth missions just killed it for me.
AnonymousMessage
AnonymousMessage
General Poster
General Poster

Devious Profile
Class: Living Tank.
Favorite Weapon: Polaris/Sadaruska
Alignment: Pure Chaotic

http://anonops.bz/

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Actually, my "d'oh" purchases were a combination of DSiWare title Anonymous Notes: From the Abyss and Dead Island...

Anonymous Notes advertised itself as a semi-unique dungeon crawler, and that is pretty true. It also has rogue like elements in the fact that if you die, you lose everything everything you're carrying save for what you have equipped. It's also like Spiral Knights that your gear solely determines your strength... the story is slowly paced and at this point I'm still not sure it ever ends, which is confusing since there's a second installment of the game already out. It could simply the same game with a new character (which, the more I play the first one, the more I think is the case) but it could still be a sequel, so I'm not really sure. As a result, the game ends up being too difficult for me to want to play it considering the lack of a "goal" ... the best I'm gonna get goal wise either better gear or seeing how many "Abyss Gates" I can clear. Which, let me tell you, is hard. When the game doesn't even heal you before the boss. Not that it matters, since the boss can pretty much one-shot you even at max HP (which, considering you can't increase it because you don't level up, SUCKS). Also, I've already beaten 2 Abyss Gates and both of them where the EXACT SAME THING. They looked like slightly swampy forests, the 2nd gate looking more boggy that the 1st. Now the 3rd one I'm doing is like a carbon copy of the 1st... I don't feel like I'm making any progress at all. So bleh. it was only 2 dollars though, I guess. You get what you pay for.

Dead Island... You know, really, this game is good because zombies somehow automatically mean a game is good, which I don't really get. The controls are clunky (maybe to imitate realism? In which case I can forgive that) and weapons break... really damn quickly. I spend more time in the menu managing my weapons so that I don't break (so as to save money on repair costs) them than I actually do running around. Also, the second area of the game, the city is even harder than the FINAL AREA. Hell, there were some areas in the city that were as difficult for me as the final boss himself (who, by the way, seriously needs to be context-sensitive... it's clear the boss was designed for a 4P co-op battle, however if you go it alone he is not nerfed at all and... pretty impossible to kill without dying so much that you lose all of the money you had saved up to that point. FML) Also, the game is glitchy as hell and there were some design choices that really.... didn't make much sense to me. For instance, the story is silly at best (though, it's a zombie game where you're trapped on an inland, what did I expect?) and some areas where just designed weird. Like in one part of the Resort Area (the first are you really get to explore) I found a raodside billboard with a truck on top of it. lolwut? how the hell could a car get up there? Why is it up there? Maybe the devs were just being silly, but considering the generally serious overtone to the story and "lack of hope" the maps and quests give you, it is very misplaced. The weapon mods are really cool and so is New Game+, but eh... I dunno, the game lacked charm for me. Maybe because I bought it because my friends wanted me to play it, so as soon they moved on to the next big thing it was dead to me. I never really was a zombie game junkie :/
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile
Class: Dusk Knight
Favorite Weapon: Cold Iron Vanquisher
Alignment: Neutral-Destructive

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Nithhogg wrote:..... However, Zera and Anon seem to make longer posts...

30 seconds later, Anon makes a post about... 1.3 lines long. 30 seconds after that, Zera writes a goddamn *book* Wakka Wakka
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile
Class: Dusk Knight
Favorite Weapon: Cold Iron Vanquisher
Alignment: Neutral-Destructive

Back to top Go down

Post  AnonymousMessage Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:26 pm

*Shrug* Gotta love the almighty Jinx.
AnonymousMessage
AnonymousMessage
General Poster
General Poster

Devious Profile
Class: Living Tank.
Favorite Weapon: Polaris/Sadaruska
Alignment: Pure Chaotic

http://anonops.bz/

Back to top Go down

the Purchase of D'oh Empty On Topic

Post  Nithhogg Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:26 pm

To be on topic I think I might have made a d'oh purchase... But any really significant examples escape me... I think about it and post later I guess?
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

the Purchase of D'oh Empty how childish of me

Post  kunoric Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:20 am

i soppose mine is any t.v./movie game i'd ever thought would be worth more then the packaging- case in point, all the naruto games i got (on a fan's very clouded recommendation...). there's also Lux-pain that I got as a cheap game to fill the game quota of a buy 2 get 1 free deal at Game stop; it sounded interesting but it never got much of a review that i saw after initial advertising; probably because it's so awkward that the game's voice acting and dialogue contradict each other, and i'm still hazy about the story even after beating it because it's just so... i don't even...

i used to think that the wario land 4(3?) game i got as a young sapling was a poor choice, but i think i was just too young or unfamiliar with wario's odd unsettling gaming world, though it seems the more recent games are more tame or lean further toward the silly,instead of bazaar.

but My greatest DO'H has to be Sands of destruction; a game where the protagonist develops a habit of turning everything within a mile to sand,in a world where humans are bottom class citizens to animal/humanoind hybrids. protagonist (we will call him sandy-bOOm, S.B.) is found buy this destroy-the-planet anarchist girl who wants to use him to destroy the elemental gods keeping nature in check, but he's ok with it cause she's hot. and a murderer. a good setup, but it seems that some one got scared that this wouldn't sell well and defaults to a generic save the world thing.utter rip-off.
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Male Posts : 215

Devious Profile
Class: aggressive defender
Favorite Weapon: pre-nerf winmillion
Alignment: Chaotic-Constructive

Back to top Go down

the Purchase of D'oh Empty Gish

Post  Nithhogg Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 am

I think my most recent D'oh purchase would have to be part of a bundle. Gish, is just... well maybe it's not suited for a keyboard because it's just plain bad. I have to do keyboard twister to get anywhere and I still can't make any meaningful progress. Maybe I'm impatient but if the control scheme makes me want to quit before I even finish the first level something is wrong. I think I should get used to how the game plays not get used to doing even the simplest of tasks such as jumping. A controller may alleviate the issue a bit but I still consider this a d'oh purchase in the middle of an otherwise excellent bundle.

Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content