Devious Souls
Login NAO >:L

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Devious Souls
Login NAO >:L
Devious Souls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Characters

+2
Silloe
Nithhogg
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Favorite Characters

Post  Nithhogg Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:54 pm

At this point it may seem like I'm posting new topics for the heck of it. Really I'm trying to make this place seem more lively and getting to know you guys a bit better. So without further hesitation here are my favorites in no particular order...

1) Yuzuru "Joe" Akie - Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Joe is such a weird character. I normally gravitate towards the "main character" since I can usually give them the most of my own personality through in-game decisions. However, Joe's commentary is so bizarre and crazy that he's really endeared himself to me and is without a doubt my favorite character in that game.

2) Commander Gore - Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Gore was a surprisingly important character considering he died within the first hour of the game. I was rather upset that I took the chaos path for that game possibly because he was such an interesting character and I ended up having to kill him (again).

3) Hades - Kid Icarus: Uprising
While Hades IS the main antagonist he made it to the list for his rather humorous remarks. Despite being an obvious villan he still manages to make himself a humorous character. Almost every one of his comments is worth at least a chuckle and most are surprisingly funny and you almost wish you weren't tied up in the action just so you could actually enjoy his humor.

4) Crono - Chrono Trigger
Silent yet undoubtably heroic. He has exactly one line in the entire game yet you know exactly what he stands for. His heroism and sacrifice has made him stick out in my mind in an utterly amazing game and not just because he is the main protagonist either.

5) Flea - Chrono Trigger
I wouldn't say Flea is a favorite so much as an odd character that is unforgettable (and not in the good way). He is met briefly in the game yet definitely leaves an impression. Who can forget a male character that chooses to take a female form because "beauty is power"?

I could probably think of more but I'll cut it off at 5 for now. And again: HAVE FUN!
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Male Posts : 454

Devious Profile
Class: Elite Stabber
Favorite Weapon: Rigadoon
Alignment: Neutral-Constructive

https://skguilddevioussouls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Re: Favorite Characters

Post  Silloe Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:01 am

You may as well have chosen "Ryu" from all the 'Breath of Fire' games.

I'd have to choose somebody from FF3/6. Way too difficult to make a decisive answer...
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Male Posts : 264

Devious Profile
Class: Tater Dervish
Favorite Weapon: Brandish Line
Alignment: Chaotic-Constructive

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Breath of Fire?

Post  Nithhogg Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:04 am

I have no idea what that game is and I only know of two Ryu's. Both of course being major characters from their respective games.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Big beefy arm there... Majesty.

Post  Silloe Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:16 am

Breath of Fire is a series of RPGs, much like Final Fantasy - There's 4 of them in the series to my knowledge

Though, Breath of Fire seems to gravitate towards the same characters over and over.

You have a blue haired protagonist who is always silent, and is from a dragon clan. He can turn into various dragons and burninated the peasants in their thatched roof cottages.
His default name is always Ryu.
There are a few other characters which seem to repeat in the series. A cat character, a bird, a dog/wolf, etc.

I was just making a jab at choosing a silent protagonist as a favourite character. He has no 'character' he's only an avatar of your linear progression through the game.
http://www.sophiehoulden.com/games/thelinearrpg/
( You will probably spend more time grinding in this game than you should)

And, I'm sure you already know FF3/6, so no need to ramble about that.
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Hmm...

Post  Nithhogg Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:20 am

I guess I see what you mean? Well anyway I only chose ONE character that was a silent protagonist and there other characters aren't exactly stereotypical... Most of the games aren't exactly your cookie cutter RPGs either.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:35 am

lol. I have a few favorites though I'm not sure I can remember them all at the moment. These are in no particular order, btw:

Balthier, FFXII: Well, I mean come on. It's BALTHIER. The almost-silent badass.

Jasper (the Butler dude), Fable III: "Why stab or shoot your enemies when you can set them on fire?" "You're dressed as a chicken. What are you, what- what're you, what are you planning to do, dressed... as a chicken?" 'Nuff said.

Sazh, FFXIII: Afros. Campy humor. <3

Altair, Assassin's Creed: Cuz he's an actual assassin. :V I dunno why but I always prefer Altair over Ezio. I guess it's the first come first serve mentality?

and I can't think of any more atm though I'm sure there's a couple more lol
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile
Class: Dusk Knight
Favorite Weapon: Cold Iron Vanquisher
Alignment: Neutral-Destructive

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Randomness +59

Post  AnonymousMessage Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:27 am

I suppose mine would have to be a tie between Damon S. Baird from the Gears of War series. "There we go, one muzzled queen! Not you, her. You were great, I loved your speech there, especially the bitch-ass stuff. Very good, very enlightening." and Jackie Estacado from the Darkness series. "I'll destroy you...I'll put your teeth to the grind stone, I'll tear your mind, I'll boil your eyes"
AnonymousMessage
AnonymousMessage
General Poster
General Poster

Devious Profile
Class: Living Tank.
Favorite Weapon: Polaris/Sadaruska
Alignment: Pure Chaotic

http://anonops.bz/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:33 am

AnonymousMessage wrote:I suppose mine would have to be a tie between Damon S. Baird from the Gears of War series. "There we go, one muzzled queen! Not you, her. You were great, I loved your speech there, especially the bitch-ass stuff. Very good, very enlightening." and Jackie Estacado from the Darkness series. "I'll destroy you...I'll put your teeth to the grind stone, I'll tear your mind, I'll boil your eyes"
Those lines really seem to suit you nicely.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty my bottom Five ( in no particular order)

Post  kunoric Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 am

separating a favorite character from a favorite game is pretty hard- i was about to list nearly all silent characters because i liked their games, so i'll do my most hated characters instead.

1) Joshua (the world ends with you): i bet this was done on purpose, because if i knew more swear words when i first met him, i'd have strung them together so that his name would be an acronym for um... jerk off s#!%%y hipster...U@$(!?... A$$#*(@. long story short, F that guy.that flamboyant moderator of the afterlife...i can't really explain why without rambling on about the game, so just take my word for it; think if navi was behind zelda's kidnaping the whole time and did it for the lulz.

2) Pekeji, pre lvl max( Mystery dungeon:Shiren the wanderer):Shiren is a rouge-like game, so death means starting from the beginning. with this in mind , Pekeji, your so called "long-lost brother" is the worst ally you can have early on-when you first meet him he's super sketchy, asking for money (which isn't easy to come by considering you beat it out of monster's who've eaten richer people)and just takes it and disappears for what was real life months for me,long after i beat the main adventure, then eventually you find him being tossed out of a bar broke and drunk. you recruit him by punching him in the face whenever you see him, and in combat, he will randomly "return your brotherly affection" by being so inaccurate that he sometimes misses foes and punches you instead, often killing you to top it off, he constantly begs for rice balls, the only food keeping you from dropping dead, and just goes on strike and sits down if you dont. he won't fight or move for your allies, but he will be eaten and power up the foe that killed him.

3)Kenchi the masseur (Mystery dungeon:Shiren the wanderer): same game, but this character is a double edge sword, my favorite and also my most hated. i like his character and his strength, but his healing massages backfire worse then pekeji's sit-downs; randomly, when you ask to be healed, he might accidentally snap your neck and leave you dead on the cavern floor-and i can't be sure, but i'm pretty sure he took all my stuff afterward.

4) Amy (Lost in BLue 2): this game sparked my interest in survival games,but considering we are borderline dead constantly, i'd expect her to eat what ever she can or cook it herself, but she won't eat anything raw, preferring to drop dead instead.speaking of cooking, i'd expect since she can't really help or do much herself that she would at least be good at tending the cave- but no... can't even make a good sandwich; if i want us to live, i'll need to suck up my wolf bite injuries and cook us a good 3 course meal, because the girl will literally "undercook" salad.i hear this doesn't happen when you choose to be her- having jack be your partner instead means an AI who doesn't eat all the food, can cook, and doesn't let the fire die. also he will eat what ever i feel should go in his mouth, like a good boy.

5) that J. O. S. H. U. A. (The world ends with you): seriously,i hate him.he could be all the entries on the list for different reasons...

Last edited by kun0ric on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i don't know how old every one reading this is)
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Male Posts : 215

Devious Profile
Class: aggressive defender
Favorite Weapon: pre-nerf winmillion

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty What makes a good character?

Post  Silloe Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:58 am

I've played Shiren the Wanderer... That's pretty hardcore roguelike. Love that the Kenichi will snap your neck occasionally Very Happy

But, I haven't seen any characters that have really stood out... or at least why they stand out.

Spoilers Follow:

Let's take Shadow from FF3.

He's an optional character for most of the game, often times acting as a mercenary, you need to pay him to join you, and even then he'll leave your party at random, or if you're lucky he'll leave at a set event. You can't make him a permanent party member until the last 3rd of the game, and even then you need to follow specific conditions.

The game has very little direct character development through the natural story, and the things you can find out come across as vague implication, but if you piece it all together it looks like this:

In Shadow's younger years he was called Clyde, and he and his partner Baram were train robbers, they called themselves Shadow as a group. They pulled off a big heist and got a heap of treasure, but Baram was mortally wounded and asked Clyde to finish him off lest the authorities capture him, but Clyde couldn't do it, and fled.

He came upon a town where he met a woman and fathered a daughter. Soon after he realized that the authorities were still looking after him, and fled once again. This time his loyal dog Interceptor would join him despite his efforts to keep the dog with his daughter.

So, Clyde took up the pseudonym Shadow, and hid his face as an assassin. He first appears in the main story at a bar, where he's rumoured to be a soulless assassin who would cut his mother's throat for a nickel. If you hire him, he'll help you for a bit against the Empire which is gearing for war.

Later in the game you meet him again, this time working for the very same Empire.

Well, my cat is on my lap now - making it exceedingly difficult to type, so I'm gonna cop out, and if you still care you can find out the rest here:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_%28Final_Fantasy_VI%29

In summary tragedy, character motivation, finding salvation through sacrifice, suicidal tendencies, subtle storytelling, potato.
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Aha!

Post  Nithhogg Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Silloe wrote:
So, Clyde took up the pseudonym Shadow, and hid his face as an assassin. He first appears in the main story at a bar, where he's rumoured to be a soulless assassin who would cut his mother's throat for a nickel. If you hire him, he'll help you for a bit against the Empire which is gearing for war.
Well now I knew where the idea for Zach from Mardek came from... The bold statement tipped me off because in the bar Zach appears in every NPC you talk to messes up this line.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty ahh mardek...

Post  kunoric Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:32 pm

i guess if i'd played it more recently i'd have a favorite from that game, but when i was posting i couldn't think of any one really, and character's i distain tend to be more memorable then the ones who entertain me for brief periods- now that i think about it, i could have filled a list with just portal 2 characters or HomeStuck... i'm just not good at picking favorites..
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Navi...

Post  Nithhogg Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 pm

The only really annoying characters that stand out to me are the ones that act like all the games know how to do is push buttons. Y'know they guides that are always like "press A to jump here!" and stuff. Particularly Navi since she doesn't seem to understand what side quests are. Not only is her info entirely useless because you probably noticed it 5 minutes before she cares to speak up but she'll also pester you if you stray to find some pieces of heart. I can't really think of a villan that ever bothered me though... Because them being jerky gave me a reason to punch their face in I suppose. The really annoying characters are the ones you CAN'T beat up and either have cheesy lines or useless advice. I hate it when guides are supposed to help but actually are able to figure out a lot less than you can...
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silloe Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Relevant

At like 3:10... That's the problem - no need to skip ahead though, it's a pretty brilliant video worth 20 mins of your time.

Last edited by Silloe on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cuz i didnt do da frakin /v/ thing.)
Silloe
Silloe
Resident Potato

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Language aside

Post  Nithhogg Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:09 am

I have to agree with him. Some games have "Advanced mechanics" and whatnot but even still they seem to almost baby you. I don't need to be told each and every individual control that exists in the game. I can think for myself! It's sometimes nice to be reminded of what you SHOULD be doing but that's why I'd rather have a synopsis of what's happened so far. I have yet to see this feature outside Tales of Symphonia though... maybe other Tales games have it too. Anyway, reminder of goals accesible at free will: good being told where I need to go and what I need to do at every turn: bad.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:29 am

Nithhogg wrote:I have to agree with him. Some games have "Advanced mechanics" and whatnot but even still they seem to almost baby you. I don't need to be told each and every individual control that exists in the game. I can think for myself! It's sometimes nice to be reminded of what you SHOULD be doing but that's why I'd rather have a synopsis of what's happened so far. I have yet to see this feature outside Tales of Symphonia though... maybe other Tales games have it too. Anyway, reminder of goals accesible at free will: good; being told where I need to go and what I need to do at every turn: bad.
Like nearly every modern game's sudden obsession to place an image of the button on the screen when you're trying to do anything? :V (the ONLY game I forgive for this is Mass Effect 3 because that's only to save themselves from the fact that they made the A button have like... 1500 function in the multiplayer. FJSDKGJSAKDGHFLJASKDFHJ THERE ARE MORE BUTTONS THAN JUST "A" GODDAMMIT) Skyward Sword's GUI kinda abuses that too. I can understand to an extent since like, there's actual button mapping going on, but I don't understand why they to show me the ENTIRE CONTROLLER instead of just those mappable buttons. Way to get in my fckn way, Nintendo. GOOD LORD.
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty About Skyward Sword

Post  Nithhogg Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:39 am

You can change Skyward Sword's UI appearance. When I played I made sure the controller outline was gone ASAP. That doesn't excuse the fact that they still have a "guide" that points out only stuff that are COMPLETELY OBVIOUS. I only really used Fi to learn moster's names if I remember correctly.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:44 am

oh? then I guess the people who do let's plays of it think it's less annoying than I do LOL
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:48 am

It's possible that it might be useful to the viewer who can't hold the controller themselves of see it to know exactly what is going on. Not that you NEED to see the controller to know exactly...
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerahnor Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:19 am

ikr? the game practically tells you what every single possible button combination doe. to the point where it's almost annoying as fuck...
Zerahnor
Zerahnor
Master of Disaster!

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nithhogg Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:34 am

Why do modern games insist on babying us -rantrantrant- I'm done here >.>
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty EgoRaptor!

Post  kunoric Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:06 am

gotta hand it to him, he know's his games and good at explaining why. as for this over simplification, long story short, it's because games are more mainstream and a large amount of people are stupid- i know, I've met so so many of them... these are the people who, when navi says "watch out", they say, "why? is that guy trying to hurt me? but we just met!".i think this is also in part to an increase in younger audiences taking on games marketed to a higher age group, so when player feed back come back filled with " it's too hard! this game cheats! I don't get it! no one told me! how was i supposed to remember!?" dev's responded, maybe too well.
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Advice Bots

Post  Nithhogg Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:14 am

Then why not have an option to turn them off? I'd not think it'd be too hard to but a "Shut up, Navi!" button in the game or any game that gives you too much leigh way in general... But that's just me I guess.
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Link's first words were the last navi heard...

Post  kunoric Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:39 am

Nithhogg wrote:Then why not have an option to turn them off? I'd not think it'd be too hard to but a "Shut up, Navi!" button in the game or any game that gives you too much leigh way in general... But that's just me I guess.
Favorite Characters Scaled.php?server=811&filename=1301692851086
kunoric
kunoric
Jelly Head

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Favorite Characters Empty Too Bad

Post  Nithhogg Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:52 am

You need Navi to z-target. I want her to shut up and z-traget like a good little fairy. I don't want her dead. Without z-targeting I'd...
Nithhogg
Nithhogg
Cuspis Lucis

Devious Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content